Fences is the world’s most popular desktop enhancement for Windows®. What makes it so compelling is that what it does is so obviously useful and necessary that it is amazing that no one has thought of it before. It helps you organize your desktop. It can hide icons when they are not in use as well as make it easy to place icons into moveable groups called “fences”.
NEW! Use your desktop to organize all of your stuff
You can have pages of fences on your desktop. To flip a page, just take your mouse cursor to the edge of your screen and click and drag. Then a new page of fences can be displayed. This feature makes it easy to use your desktop to organize all of your programs, documents, websites and more.
Keep your desktop clean
Double-click any blank space on your desktop and your icons will fade out. Double-click again and they will return. You can even pick icons and individual fences to exclude.
Rope off your desktop
Fences allows you to create shaded areas on your desktop that you can place icons into called fences. You can label them however you wish and move or resize them anywhere on the desktop.
Automatically arrange your desktop
Define rules for how your icons are arranged. When a new icon gets added, from an installer for instance, it can automatically be added to a particular fence.
NEW! Make your desktop a portal to your files
Fences can be made to act as a portal to a particular folder. For example, your documents or pictures folders can be mirrored onto your desktop as fences making them easy to access without cluttering up your desktop.
Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP (XP 32-bit only)
Folder portals and pages require Win7 or newer
What’s NEW in Fences 2.12
• Added allowing users to choose between rounded and 90 degree angle corner edges in the Fences config (defaulted by OS)
• Added prompt for email at trial activation
• Re-enabled touch features. This includes using two fingers to switch between desktop pages (enabled by default) and the ability to “flick” icons into fences (disabled by default). Both are options in the settings, on the “Desktop Pages” and “Layout and snapping” tabs respectively.
• Fixed Fences not showing on desktop/exist offscreen, out of res bounds
• Fixed Fence shifting icons into hidden third column
• Fixed show my desktop issue reactivated with information
• Fixed issue with Folder portals and visibility
• Fixed issue with name based rules and right click
• Fixed issue with bottomed aligned secondary monitors causes off-set Portal Fences
• Fixed a crash issue that has been haunting support where a target folder location had been changed
• Fixed issue with config UI blanking out
• Fixed issue with Fences not showing on desktop when they existed offscreen, out of the screen resolution
• Fixed issue with new files defaulting to the second monitor
• Fixed issue with the show desktop button in Windows when an active modal window was displaying in Fences
• Fixed issue with being unable to drag desktop pages when the taskbar was on the left or right
• Fixed issue with excluding icons from quickhide (like .website)
• Fixed issue when folder portal opacity was set to 0%
• Fixed where rules weren’t sticking if assigned through right-click/…
• Removed Fences as a Control Panel item (kept causing problems)