StarBurn is a free and powerful tool that allows its users to grab, burn and master CD, DVD, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The program supports all types of optical storage media (including CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, BD-R/RE, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM) and a wide variety of burning hardware. The program is really easy to install and use and contains a number of step-by-step wizards for new users. Due to that fact you don’t need to read long manuals, you just perform the traditional ‘click Next’ and have all your tasks completed.
StarBurn offers all features concerning grabbing, burning and mastering of CD, DVD, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD you need free of charge – in one powerful and easy to use solution.
• Supports all MMC (Multi-Media Command Set) compatible CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD devices. StarBurn deals with devices in a “generic” mode meaning you don’t need to get an updated version of our software to support a brand new burner – everything is quite simple;
• Supports CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, BD-R/RE, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM media, including high-capacity double layer DVD+R and dual layer DVD-R;
• DVD-Video main sequence (movie) extraction support due to which you can re-master the DVD and extract only the movie. Only the movie itself will be copied, but not the trailers and advertising from the original DVD;
• Audio content processing support. StarBurn can store audio tracks as WAV (uncompressed) and WMA (compressed Windows Media Audio) files. Now you can create extra copies of your audio CD collection and listen directly from your PC hard disk, load compressed audio into portable player or car audio or burn WAV and WMA files back to create re-mastered audio CDs. So if you have an old CD-player or car audio that can’t play MP3/WMA compressed data with StarBurn you can create an ordinary audio CD from files stored on your hard disk;
• StarBurn can process audio streams on-the-fly. This means it can burn an audio CD from MP3/WMA files without de-compressing them and storing an intermediate copy on your hard disk. This is much faster than doing everything in two steps: first decoding and then actual burning;
• UDF (Universal Disc Format) file system support (UDF 1.02, 1.50 and 2.01) means that from now on files larger than 2 GB and with names up to 2048 characters long can be stored on optical media. You don’t need to use any additional tools to split huge files or rename long file names before burning them;
• StarBurn supports ISO9660 file system, including Joliet Unicode extensions, which is the most compatible file system that can be read almost by any machine;
• Track-At-Once (TAO) and Disc-At-Once (DAO) (RAW) recording modes support. In TAO everything is handled by the drive itself, application just passes 2048 bytes/sector streams (data) or 2352 bytes/sector streams (audio). With DAO, an application creates a raw virtual CD image and writes with 2448 (DAO96) or 2368 (DAO16) bytes/sector streams. TAO is the most compatible mode which is preferred for data (the only mode to create multisession CDs) and DAO allows you to create gapless audio CD, add CD-Text and CD+G information and some additional features;
• Bridge file system (ISO9660/UDF for DVD-Video creation) support. StarBurn can create bridge file system which is DVD-Video compatible. This media can be read with both stand-alone DVD players and ancient Windows 95 and DOS machines, which makes the disk almost universal;
• El Torito (bootable CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD) creation support. Use CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD as a very big floppy boot disk for recovery purposes;
• Session import support (appending already created CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD media). In this mode the same media can be used for sequential recording, as the new data will perfectly co-exist with previously recorded data. The only limitation is your physical media capacity;
• DVD9 to 2 DVD-R(+R) conversion support. In this mode StarBurn backs up dual layer stamped DVD9 DVD-Video disc into a pair of two DVD single layer recordables, as a pair of two single layer recordable discs is cheaper than single double/dual layer recordable.
StarBurn is a bundled software tool that provides user-friendly GUI wizards to perform the following operations:
• Burning data
• Burning audio and video discs
• Grabbing audio and data discs
• Building images
• Converting audio files to WAV, WMA, MP3 and OGG formats
• Creating virtual drives
• Mounting remote optical drives
StarBurn is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1.
Changes in StarBurn SDK 15.4 ‘Patriot’:
* Data/time stamp corrected for UDF tree (in case local time and not UTC used).
* New API (ISO2_xxx), maximum file size limitation flexed out.
* Long file names correction for ISO9660 applied.
* File system detection bug fixed.
* StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_SetReadSpeed bug fixed (resulted in a slow verification process after burn done).
* Write parameters settings on some hardware fixed.
StarBurnX (Active-X wrapper)
* New calls updated API for audio files processing.
* Slow audio CDs read fixed.
Homepage – http://www.starburnsoftware.com