SMPlayer is a free media player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats. It doesn’t need any external codecs. Just install SMPlayer and you’ll be able to play all formats without the hassle to find and install codec packs. One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume… SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play Youtube videos or download subtitles.
Play all media formats
SMPlayer supports the most known formats and codecs: avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264… you can play all of them, thanks to its built-in codecs. You don’t need to find and install third party codecs. See a list of all supported formats
Support for Youtube
SMPlayer can play Youtube videos and it also includes a handy tool which allows to search for Youtube videos.
SMPlayer comes with several skins and icon themes, so you can easily change the look of the player.
SMPlayer can search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
SMPlayer includes many advanced features like video and audio filters, change of the playback speed, adjustment of audio and subtitles delay, video equalizer… and many more.
In your own language
SMPlayer is available in more than 30 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese…
SMPlayer is available for Windows and Linux. SMPlayer is compatible with Windows XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8.
Free and open source
SMPlayer is free and open source. SMPlayer is under the GPL license.
SMPlayer uses the award-winning MPlayer as playback engine, which is one of the best players in the world. Learn more
Changes in SMPlayer 15.9.0:
* Support for the 3D stereo filter.
* Added support for mpv, which is a player based on MPlayer with new features and bug fixes.
* Now it’s possible to select a secondary subtitle track which is displayed on top of the screen (mpv only).
* New option to set a template for screenshots (mpv only).
* Now it’s possible to play videos from streaming sites (besides Youtube) like DailyMotion, Vimeo, Vevo and many more (mpv only).
* Option to step back one frame (mpv only).
* The Windows installer now allows to choose the playback engine to install: mplayer or mpv.
* Better support for YouTube (VEVO videos).
* Possibility to set a proxy.
* Allow duplicate items in the playlist.
* New action (assigned by default to key “I”) shows the current playback time, total time and percentage, for 2 seconds on the OSD.
* Add the possibility to use the mouse buttons for “next chapter” and “previous chapter”.
* New option to delete a file in the playlist from the filesystem.
* Add support for MPRIS2.
* Possibility to compile SMPlayer without mplayer or mpv support.
* The new H2O theme is now the default theme.
Homepage – http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/
Screenshot – http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/en/screenshots