Rufus is an utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc. Rufus provides everything you need for creating an USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.) to work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed. It’s really useful when you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS or you want to run a low-level utility
Rufus is fast. For instance it’s about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
• Formats USB flash drives to FAT/FAT32/NTFS/UDF/exFAT
• Creates DOS bootable USB drives, using FreeDOS or MS-DOS with no external files required
• Creates MBR or GPT/UEFI bootable USB drives
• Creates bootable USB drives from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.)
• Twice as fast as Microsoft’s USB/DVD tool or UNetbootin, on ISO->USB (1)
• Can perform bad blocks check, with fake drive detection
• Modern and familiar UI, with 34 languages supported natively (2)
• Small footprint, no installation required
• 100% Free Software (GPL v3)
Supported Languages: Azərbaycanca, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Malaysia, Български, Čeština, Dansk, Deutsch, Ελληνικά, English, Español, Français, Hrvatski, Italiano, Latviešu, Lietuvių, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Português, Português do Brasil, Русский, Română, Slovensky, Slovenščina, Srpski, Suomi, Svenska, Tiếng Việt, Türkçe, Українська, 简体中文, 正體中文, 日本語, 한국어, ไทย, עברית, العربية, فارسی.
System Requirements: Windows XP or later, 32 or 64 bit.
Notes on DOS support:
If you create a DOS bootable drive and use a non-US keyboard, Rufus will attempt to select a keyboard layout according to the locale of your system. In that case, FreeDOS, which is the default selection, is recommended over MS-DOS, as it supports more keyboard layouts.
Notes on ISO Support:
All versions of Rufus since v1.1.0 allow the creation of a bootable USB from an ISO image (.iso).
Notes on UEFI & GPT support:
Since version 1.3.2, Rufus support UEFI as well as GPT for installation media, meaning that it will allow you to install Windows 7, Windows 8 or Linux in full EFI mode.
However, Windows Vista or later is required for full UEFI/GPT support. Because of OS limitations, Windows XP restricts the creation of UEFI bootable drives to MBR mode.
Changes in RufusVersion 2.15 (2017.05.16)
- Fix non-listing of drives that are opened for write access by another process
- Report external processes that may be preventing disk access (in the log)
- Improve Windows To Go support for Windows 10 Creators Update
- Don’t report an error on checkdisk failure
- Update GRUB 2.0 and Grub4DOS to latest
- Other fixes and improvements
Homepage – http://rufus.akeo.ie/