Directory Opus is well-known and most popular program which provides a complete replacement for Explorer with far more power and functionality than any other file manager available today. Directory Opus provides a complete replacement for Explorer with far more power and functionality than any other file manager available today. Opus 10 provided a simple Active Scripting host that lets you write rename scripts in any Active Scripting-compatible script language (VBScript, JScript, etc). Opus 11 expands this significantly.
Directory Opus is designed with four goals in mind:
• Ease of use: As far as possible, Opus works just like Explorer does. You don’t have to learn any complicated scripting or non-standard mouse techniques to use Opus. If you’ve ever used Explorer to copy a file, you already know exactly how to do it in Opus as well.
• Configurability: We believe in the user’s right to choose how their computer operates. You’ll find that almost every aspect of Opus can be changed – from the buttons on the toolbar to the color used to draw the background of a compressed file. Of course you don’t have to configure anything if you don’t want to – “out of the box” Opus provides a comprehensive set of commands that will let you perform most file management tasks without ever going near the configuration.
• Efficiency: Opus is designed to be as efficient as possible. The entire program makes use of multi-threading to ensure that you should never have to wait for one operation to complete before beginning another.
• Compatibility: As an Explorer Replacement it’s important that Opus appears (to the system) just like Explorer does. Within the limits set by Microsoft, Opus achieves this and most software written with only Explorer in mind will still work fine with Opus installed.
There are far too many features to list them all here, but to name a few:
• Single or dual file displays, with single or dual trees, make navigating and manipulating files a breeze
• Folder tabs let you keep multiple folders open and switch quickly between them
• Integrated viewer pane lets you preview many common image and document file formats
• View and edit file metadata (EXIF, MP3, PDF, etc)
• Sorting, grouping, filtering and searching has never been easier
• Color code or rate your files and folders to make them easier to find
• Batch renaming including the option for a fully scripted rename using metadata
• Support for FTP, Zip, 7-Zip, RAR and many other archive formats
• Access content on portable devices like phones, tablets and cameras
• Built-in tools including synchronize, duplicate file finder, image converter and uploader and more
• Print or export folder listings, copy file listings to the clipboard, calculate folder sizes
• Queue multiple file copies for improved performance
• Support for CD/DVD burning
• Support for the latest Windows features including jumplists and indexed search
• Fully configurable user interface – toolbars, keyboard hotkeys and much more can be tailored to suit your needs
• Efficient, multi-threaded, modern design
• Supports Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 in both 32 and 64 bit versions