Classic Shell is free software that improves your productivity, enhances the usability of Windows and empowers you to use the computer the way you like it. It has a customizable start menu, it adds a toolbar and a status bar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of other features. There are 3 major components – Classic Start Menu, Classic Explorer and Classic IE. It bring back the old start menu for Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with highly customizable multiple styles and skins.
The main features are:
- Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
- Quick access to recent, frequently-used, or pinned programs
- Find programs, settings, files and documents
- Start button for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
- Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer
Classic Shell has been in active development for 6 years and has tens of millions of downloads.
The start menu has a variety of advanced features:
- Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
- Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
- Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
- Translated in 40 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
- Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
- Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
- The search box helps you find your programs without getting in the way of your keyboard shortcuts
- Supports jumplists for easy access to recent documents and common tasks
- Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
- Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
- Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
- Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
- Converts the “All Programs” button in the Windows menu into a cascading menu (Windows 7)
- Implements a customizable Start button
- Can show, search and launch Windows Store apps (Windows 8 and up)
- And last but not least – it’s FREE!
Note: Windows RT is not supported.
Homepage – http://www.classicshell.net